Just got a new Cameo4 and can't do a thing with it....

Juggernut

Mainly because I haven't opened it yet.  I just added the title for those of us who remember the old commercial about the lady washing her hair and couldn't do a thing with it.... I guess you gotta be a boomer to remember that commercial.  Anyway, the box is sitting on a chair next to me and I'm almost ready to crack it open and have a look at what's in the box.  From reading, I guess it's best to invest in the design software from Silouette rather than just the stock software as it gives you better/more options? 

2 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

I guess you gotta be a boomer to remember that commercial.

And American too, probably.

3 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

From reading, I guess it's best to invest in the design software from Silouette rather than just the stock software as it gives you better/more options? 

It's the same software, it's just that the paid version enables more features. Some of those features now seem to be available in the free version however (importing and auto-tracing images, for example), so I haven't felt the need to upgrade so far in my admittedly limited usage.

Kev

1 minute ago, Kevin Futter said:

And American too, probably.

It's the same software, it's just that the paid version enables more features. Some of those features now seem to be available in the free version however (importing and auto-tracing images, for example), so I haven't felt the need to upgrade so far in my admittedly limited usage.

Kev

Hahaha...you may be right that one must be American.  I can't speak to the internationality of that commercial but I'm thinking it was domestic US only.   Thanks for the tip on the newest  additions to the included version of the software.  I'll wait to see what the latest  version has with it before committing to purchase the upgrade.

• 2 years later...

Here's an updated link to the Software Comparison Chart denders posted a couple of years ago.

For starters, the most important/useful features in Designer versus the free basic version are: PNG autotrace; and the ability to import vector files (as pdf and svg) to have the program automatically generate cut lines (vice using the program's much less precise trace feature).

As one progresses to the point of doing manual vector drawing (or tracing), the additional features of the Designer version will come in handy. My recommendation is to invest in the Designer version from the get go.

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
  • Like 1