Cameo 5 not performing as expected

MattH0912

Hello all,
I am creating this post as I may need some guidance and help with a slight issue I am facing. I recently purchased at Cameo 5 to create paint masks for my builds using OraMask810, I have been doing quite a few test cuts to fine-tune the settings and I arrived at;
Depth: 1
Force: 5
Speed: 1
Acceleration: 1
Passes: 1
No OVERCUT
My issue is no matter how much I try to fine-tune the settings and get it dialled in I always seem to encounter my cuts not being totally accurate, such as my RAF 1/48 Roundals having a clear “step” showing the blade entry/exit point, and the smaller circles not being perfectly round. Also, my Luftwaffe Balkenkreuze even though I created the masks myself and made sure all the lines were straight and accurate some of the smaller lines were wonky and not cut straight as they should be, and maybe strangest of all the machine at the start of every operation makes a small cut to the left of the matt without any instruction to do so, (this is after the blade adjustments made by the auto blade.) Has anyone else encountered these issues and do they know what causes this and a possible solution?
Thank you all in advance.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

HI Matt. I don't have a '5' so I can't specifically speak to any sort of problems that may be particular to that model.

I typically use, Blade Depth 2, Force 6, Speed 5, and one pass. Acceleration must be new on the '5'. I believe a number of other folks here use similar settings with 810.

The depth setting is in tenth of a mm and blade depth of 1 is really close but if there are slight variations in the material, it might not cut all the way through the 810. A depth setting of 2 doesn't cut through the backer.

If I purchased a '5', I would be inclined to use the setting that I've listed here and then experiment with the acceleration setting to see if it makes any improvements.

I've found it is necessary, occasionally, to zoom in really closely and position the end point of lines.

Also, don't forget the files area where others have uploaded various masks.

Dave

P.S. since Kev answered before I could submit reply, contacting support would probably be good too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something else just came to mind.

Are you using one of the 'sticky' mats? If you aren't, I'm wondering if the Oramask is slipping.

I usually cut a piece of masking material the size that I need and put it on one of the sticky matts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, denders said:

HI Matt. I don't have a '5' so I can't specifically speak to any sort of problems that may be particular to that model.

I typically use, Blade Depth 2, Force 6, Speed 5, and one pass. Acceleration must be new on the '5'. I believe a number of other folks here use similar settings with 810.

The depth setting is in tenth of a mm and blade depth of 1 is really close but if there are slight variations in the material, it might not cut all the way through the 810. A depth setting of 2 doesn't cut through the backer.

If I purchased a '5', I would be inclined to use the setting that I've listed here and then experiment with the acceleration setting to see if it makes any improvements.

I've found it is necessary, occasionally, to zoom in really closely and position the end point of lines.

Also, don't forget the files area where others have uploaded various masks.

Dave

P.S. since Kev answered before I could submit reply, contacting support would probably be good too.

7 hours ago, denders said:

Something else just came to mind.

Are you using one of the 'sticky' mats? If you aren't, I'm wondering if the Oramask is slipping.

I usually cut a piece of masking material the size that I need and put it on one of the sticky matts.

1 hour ago, Mozart said:

Using a mat was my initial thought too, it seems as though the Oramask may be “wandering” slightly during the cutting process. 

Hi all, thanks for the reply’s, I am using a standard sticky matt which came with the machine and have even tried it matt-less and it yields the same results, and I have pretty much experimented with all the settings and it just exasperated the issue to a larger degree, the setting’s I have posted originally is what I found made it perform to where the issues where most minimal and the images contained are using these settings. I will try contact support and see if they can offer any solution, I even purchased a fresh blade and this made no difference. Thank you all for the advice and help, I will keep persisting and keep you guys updated 😆

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Some things to check in the order that may help:

__  Unscrew the blade cap and check that there's no debris around the blade and that it rotates freely.

__  Reseat the blade holder making sure it's fully locked.

__  Inspect the rollers, making sure they are in their proper positions (just off the sticky portion of the mat), and fully locked down.

__If the sticky mat is not sticky enough, tape down the edges of the Oramask to keep it from slipping

My Oramask 810 settings are the same as denders, that is Blade Depth 2, Force 6, Speed 5, and one pass. I also check Acceleration and Overcut on. Experiment increasing the cutting force and depth to cut through the Oramask  to make handy custom pieces. 

Hopefully you won't need "customer support", because:

not to be too negative, BUT ... I found it non existent and/or not helpful ... at all. I had problems with a new Cameo 4 doing some of the same things your 5 is doing, and had to describe in excruciating  detail what my settings were, what file/files I was having the problem with, and they wanted a detailed video, among other things. They absolutely refused an exchange or refund, so I bought another 4 (I had given away my Curio and Cameo3, as well as my Portrait 3) The second 4 had similar problems, as were described online by frustrated others . I gave up and bought a Portrait 4, which works flawlessly!  :classic_biggrin:

As an aside, I bought the machines at a local Hobby Lobby, that can't take returns per Silhouette policy.  Accordingly, I recommend purchasing machines through Amazon who will take returns and issue credit or refunds!

Outstanding machines ... when they work as advertised and designed.

Good luck!

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
  • Like 1