New Silhouette Cutting Machines Fall 2023

GeneK

The new batch of Silhouette hardware (Cameo, Curio, Portrait) is scheduled for "Fall 2023". Read about it here.

After trials and tribulations with my Cameo 4, I purchased a Portrait 3 ... which suits me perfectly for masks. However, the added capabilities of the Cameo 5 will cost me a reasonable $350. :classic_blush:

Gene K 

• Like 1

Hmmm, Electrostatic Technology, don't need a 'sticky' mat. Interesting. That would mean that the material you're cutting has to go under the rollers. I tend to cut appropriately sized pieces and put them on the mat. I guess that would be more useful to folks who cut larger items.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, denders said:

That would mean that the material you're cutting has to go under the rollers. 

Not judging by the picture:

portrait4_mat_wreath-mobile.jpg

I'm assuming the optional electromagnetic mat's "suck" would be limited to light material - I can't see it holding, for example, cardboard cutting. Will be interesting if we can cut masks on it. I routinely cut tissue, so will be getting that mat. Probably expensive ... .:classic_blush:

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The forthcoming new Silhouette machines (Portrait 4, Curio 2, and Cameo 5 )will have an optional static Electricity Technology mat that MAY work with small lettering/numbers. BUT the additional $100 COST MAY BE A DEAL BREAKER to many. Good details here. Portrait 4 and ET mat  may work for me - total cost still high at $300.

Gene K

BTW,  the latest version of Silhouette Studio has a much improved trace function.

Edit: It appears that the ES mat for the Portrait will be/is appropriately smaller for the Portrait than the other ES compatible Silhouette cutters. I will get one for the new Portrait 4 I just acquired. No details or price available yet.

Edited by GeneK
Add Info on ES mat.
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm curious to hear if anyone is planning to buy (or already has) the new Curio 2. It seems to offer a significant increase in utility and functionality over an older machine like my Portrait 2. The ability to engrave acrylic sheet or even wood is appealing, though it does come at a cost. And I guess for anyone whose sole use is to cut masks for their models, it's way overkill. But as a general crafting tool with a wide variety of applications, it seems to have a lot of potential.

Anybody considering it?

Kev

I had the original Curio and really liked it, but it was overkill for my needs (as was my Cameo). Also, it was kind of clunky with the stacked bed arrangement. The new model, however, is MUCH improved in all aspects, and I would have gotten one but for the large footprint the machine with/without the ES mat requires.

There is no comparison of the the Portrait 2 to the original Curio  - never was ...  and is not now as regards the Curio 2 to the Portrait 4 (which I bought). Totally different classes as concerns diverse capability (as you said).  If you have the room and want stupendous capability, the Curio 2 is a great buy!

Gene K

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GeneK said:

Kevin,

If you are looking to move up from the Portrait 2-- Great deals abound on the Portrait 3 since the 4 is out. I sold my 3 and applied the funds to the 4 ... which I really like.

Gene K

For basic mask cutting, I'm still happy enough my 2 - and I really don't cut enough of them to justify an upgrade, unless there were some significant advantages to doing so. But having a machine capable of dealing with a wider range of materials and applications really piqued my interest. It's just a bit expensive for casual use, and I probably wouldn't get great value out of it.

Kev

• Like 2