This just in...from snowy Grand Rapids

Steve EJ

Good day everyone!

I am a modeler from the city of Grand Rapids, USA.  (We happen to be getting a blizzard right now.)

I mostly build aircraft in 1/72 and 1/48 scale, and I have been considering getting into creating my own masks for a year or so.

My initial interest here is painting aircraft graphics and lettering/numbering instead of using decals that are hard to find, expensive, or damaged.  

Yesterday, I came across a previously owned, well-maintained Silhouette Cameo 3 with some extras for $60.  Seemed like a good entry point, so I jumped on it.

I use Hyperscale Forums regularly, and saw this website posted by a member several months ago.  I just joined this forum now that I have a cutting machine.

Looking forward to learning from everyone here as I get into this new aspect of modeling.

See you around!

-Steve EJ

• Like 6

Good to see you here Steve, Cameo 3 is what I’ve got…..old but reliable (bit like me really!). Do you know if it has the Designer software loaded, it’s essential for creating the kind of masks that we do. If not, it’s a one-off payment via Silhouette. 
Max 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mozart said:

... the Designer software loaded, it’s essential for creating the kind of masks that we do. If not, it’s a one-off payment via Silhouette. 

The software is loaded onto the computer, of course, not the machine, so the seller may have given you a disc for the Basic Edition of the Studio software . If not,  you can download and install the Basic software for free from here.

As concerns the Designer Edition of Studio that Max suggested --  Silhouette had a Christmas Special Price of $25 (Regular $50), but that is expired.

HOWEVER :classic_biggrin:

Appears you can get it for $25 here.  

Gene K

Thanks for the suggestions @Mozart and @GeneK .  

I actually 'bought' the Cameo through off the 'classified ads' at my workplace.  I was supposed to meet the person yesterday to pay for/pick it up...but we're in the middle of a blizzard and I worked remotely instead of going in to the office.  So I won't have it in my hands until Monday (if weather cooperates).

I'll probably start fiddling around with it next weekend.

A friend in my local IPMS club has the same one, so he offered to help me get started and give a tutorial.  

I also introduced my friend to this forum...so he might be stopping in, too.

Looking forward to getting started.

-Steve EJ

• Like 2

Just got the Silhouette SW loaded on my PC.  Haven't bought the 'upgrade' SW yet...just trying to get my bearings.

Looking to do a simple test-run.

Looking for a couple of suggestions on:

-Appropriate material for paint masks

(presumably some sort of vinyl with adhesive on a backing)

-New blade  

(the used cutter I got came with a blade...but I have no idea what type it is or the condition it is in)

-tutorial/link/thread on how to do a text mask

(want to do a test run on a generic "NAVY" and "VF-84" for the tail of a USN aircraft...even if it's just cutting it on a piece of printer paper)

Thanks for helping me get started.

-Steve EJ

23 hours ago, denders said:

Steve, post a picture of the blade.

I've been using Artool UltraMask, others use Oracal 810, and the sheets from Tamiya that is material similar to their tape.

UltraMask Artool Ultra Mask Professional Masking Film — Midwest Airbrush Supply Co

Oracal 810 Oramask 810 Stencil Vinyl Choose Your Length – CraftCutterSupply.com

Dave

Thanks for the suggestions on mask material, Dave.

When I looked at the blade over the weekend, it looked rather generic.  I don't recall seeing any identifying markings, text, numbers.  Just a gauge of some sort, which I believe indicates blade extension/cutting depth.   I don't think I can post photos without a hosting source.  (I don't use Pinterest or similar.)  But I'm 99% certain it's an AutoBlade (Type A).  https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/blades/SILH-BLADE-AUTO

Edited by Steve EJ
updated text to be more specific

You're correct, photos need to be hosted elsewhere.

There are some other very generic blades that I've seen used, bought on Amazon. That's the reason I suggested a photo. When I first got my cutter, I joined a couple of FB groups to see what others were doing. Those groups were more generic in use than just masking for models.

I have a cameo 4, for information. I've used a blade depth setting of 2 when cutting the Oracal 810 or UltraMask. I've also stuck with Silhouette blades.

Thanks @denders.  I've compared the blade I have to the pics on the Silhouette AutoBlade website...and as far as I can tell, they're identical down to plastic housing molding and assembly lines.

So...assuming blade is in serviceable condition...is it a good option for Ultramask and Oracal films?

BTW, I greatly ppreciate your help getting me started.

Yes, assuming it's sharp.

Something else to check on, remove the cover of the blade, where it sticks out, and make sure there aren't any little bits from previous cuts stuck inside.

I'm on my notebook which isn't what I use for masks, etc. IIRC, my typical settings are Depth 2, Speed 5, Force 6. You could also peruse @Mozart's posts and check his settings. I'm sure there's one of his posts that he lists them. He's using a Cameo 3 too.

The wife had knee replacement surgery 2 weeks ago and I have the notebook sitting on the end of the dining room table so I'm closer if she needs something. Not much modeling being done lately. 🙂 She's doing really well,btw.

• Like 1

Thanks @denders

Hope the wife's recovery is complete and faster than expected.

My mother-in-law just had that done a little less than 2 months ago.  She slowed down her recovery by pushing herself too hard and being on her feet a lot.  (Cooking, cleaning...which, admittedly, she lives alone so it's not like anyone can do that for her.)  

So help your wife follow recovery guidance.  🙂   

-Steve EJ

Steve,

I respectfully suggest you look at the forums outside of Introductions and sample all that this great site has to offer. For starters, besides the Q&A denders suggested, check out Tutorials here, and Hardware and Software here.  There you'll find extensive info, are likely to get more responses, and what's posted there will be more readily available for others looking for info similar to what you are asking (rather than being somewhat "obscured"  here in Introductions) :classic_biggrin:.

Also search YouTube for Cameo and Silhouette mask tutorials - plenty of good ones there, for example this.

As for your wanting to do some simple USN text masks:  Go here to learn about (and get) the USN Long Beach font, load it into Windows, and it will then  be available for you to use in Silhouette. USAF Font is Amarillo.

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
  • Like 2