Fujimi 1/72 F-86 slats inner structure

Fujimi 1/72 F-86 slats inner structure

Hi guys,

I spent way too much time on this but I hope it will be useful to someone.

The slats arms aren't included as they prove too small for the machine but styrene profiles can be used if needed.

Here is what the prototype looks like with the slat held up with white tack.

F-86 opened slats

F-86 opened slats

F-86 opened slats

• Like 2

Outstanding, thanks. Will be useful to me since a have a "stash" of those Fujimi kits in the stash.

Can you post some pics of the wing's bottom and top without the slats in place, lease?

Gene K

• Like 1

Hi Gene,

The kit is back in its box and I've removed the prototype since I plan of cutting a fresh one when I get to the build.

Basically, I cut the slats following the kit panel lines, ignoring the "slots" on the bottom side which are supposed to represent the rails in a closed position but should not be part of the slat itself. See https://flyteam.jp/photo/3479768 or https://flyteam.jp/photo/3492515 for illustration. 

I then attached the slat part taken from the top wing, to the part cut from the bottom wing.

The inner section I've created fits directly in the space opened by cutting out the flap, connecting both the lower and upper wings. You may have to bend it a bit to conform to the leading edge curve, and achieve a realistic look.

That inner structure doesn't reach all the way to leading edge itself as it's meant to accommodate space for the slat to retract on the real A/C.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cpoud117 said:

Basically, I cut the slats following the kit panel lines ... .

I then attached the slat part taken from the top wing, to the part cut from the bottom wing.

Thanks.

I've been away from Sabre kits for years, but I've done many a Sabre wing like that, but always used putty to fair in the slat "well" even with the top wing surface. Your system makes much more sense, and using the cutter makes it practical and repeatable.

Now I need to work up some slats for 3D printing!! :classic_rolleyes:

Gene K

EDIT: Thankfully we'll be getting a super accurate 1/72 F-86A, complete with slats,  near the end of this year from Clear Prop. The kit is based on their soon to be released 1/48 kit

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to that 1/72 F-86A, so many cool ANG and Korean war schemes to model 🙂

3D printing really is the way forward, but it's a hobby within the hobby. I'll get around to it at some point.

There's a sabre GB coming up on BM at the end of august, if you're so inclined. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2024 at 5:36 PM, Kevin Futter said:

There's a really good build of that kit (test shot, I believe) on LSP

Thanks, Kev. Also good discussion about the ClearProp kiit  here at Britmodeller, and here at Aircraft Resource Center. Thankfully the renowned Sabre expert Duncan Curtis (Sabrejet) is heavily involved with ClearProp ... as well as with LSP, Britmodeller, and Aircraft Resource Center!

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 4:34 PM, cpoud117 said:
The slat arms aren't included ... 

Cpoud,

I'm working up a wing insert that may provide a base onto which the slats can be mounted. Should be more than adequate for this scale since it's hard to see the arms under the slats. Will post later today.

Inspired by you, I also worked up an insert for the 1/72 HobbyCraft kits. Those kits include slats as well as the "brackets" to hold them. Will also post today.

Gene K

Hi @GeneK

I'm looking forward to seeing what your design.

I had a shape for the arms but it was too flimsy with 0.2mm styrene. I'm gonna find some 0.3mm at some point which I can use for such task.

The Hasegawa F-86D is also in need of a slat solution.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 12:16 PM, cpoud117 said:

The Hasegawa F-86D is also in need of a slat solution.

As well as others in 1/72 like the Sword Furies and the Special Hobby F-86H, F-86K , and F-86L ...  for starters. Would be great if, after ClearProp issues their 1/72 F-86A, they make the wing sprues available as overtrees (just dreaming :classic_biggrin:). Not likely to happen, so ...

yGMhf7Q.jpg

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
Typo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, GeneK said:

As well as others in 1/72 like the Sword Furies and the Special Hobby F-86H, F-86K , and F-86L ...  for starters. Would be great if, after ClearProp issues their 1/72 F-86A, they make the wing sprues available as overtrees (just dreaming :classic_biggrin:). Not likely to happen, so ...

yGMhf7Q.jpg

Gene K

Looking good! 

You're going to have a full assembly line of 1/72 sabres before you know it. The hard part is going to be to choose the schemes 🙂