YAK-3

Mc65

well,

so to speak, I finally unpacked my Silhouette Portrait 3, downloaded and registered the device, searched for and watched several tutorials, but...

to start with something simple, I would have decided to create my own masks for the spiral on the spinner and the individual number for the Yak-3 Special Hobby 1/32.

I tried scanning the decal sheet and photographing it. I managed to import both files into the dedicated program, but apparently I can't detect the contours of the scanned copy. better with the one photographed, highlighting the contrasts.

scanned one

spacer.png

and .jpg

spacer.png

I managed by trial and error to isolate the spiral and arrive at this point

spacer.png

now I would like to join the main points of the curves, eliminating what is unnecessary and disturbing, but I can't find the right command (or sequence of commands).

even getting just this far was quite frustrating, the tutorials I found didn't enlighten me, and the site manual doesn't go into detail, I think.

Do you kindly have any more detailed tutorials or manuals?

TIA, cheers, Paolo

• Like 3

Paolo.

Looks like you narrowed it down to a "somewhat useable" trace, but you could still use more refining by going back to your original image (not the isolated pieces you made),  and using the Trace dialog options (Threshold, Despeckle, etc)  to refine the trace. That would give you a single line trace vice the double lines you created.

spacer.png

ovpFh0l.png

After the trace is made, you can reduce the number of nodes by using the Top Menu ...  Object/Simplify (Ctrl+J) . Then, overlaying the trace on your original jpg, you can further refine the trace by adjusting the nodes and adding or deleting others to get something like this (can even be further refined)

MzAeXS8.png

So here's the final trace (not scaled). Let me know if you'd like the Studio file.

Zjn3Vbm.png

Sounds like a lot of effort, right? So ..

One of the very best things you can do to use Studio effectively is to learn to use the drawing tools to trace. Takes an investment in time, but well worth the effort in the long run. The Studio Trace feature is getting better, but manual tracing is much easier,  quicker, and more precise.  

👍

Gene K

• Thanks 1

wow, Gene, thank you! 🙏

I hope to re start soon with your inputs, they seems to go straight to the point.

I agree that I need to learn to familiarize and take practice with command and drawing tools,, yet I feel I need a guide to them, at least initially!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mc65 said:

...  command and drawing tools,, yet I feel I need a guide to them, at least initially!

YouTube is great for such tutorials. For starters search on "Silhouette trace" for guides on using the Trace feature ...  and after you are comfortable with that, search for "Silhouette point editing" . 

Frustration will quickly turn into fun when you practice!!

Gene K

• Like 1

oookaaaay...

Did someone say "frustration"? 🙄

I played a bit as suggested by Gene with the parameters of the editing function (I have the menu in Italian, I suspect that this also generates confusion, I have to change it to English) and obtained a clearer picture:

spacer.png

the points of the image as they are are objectively many, around 400

spacer.png

so, always following the suggestions received, I tried to simplify with the dedicated command. better, definitely.

spacer.png

then I watched some tutorials on how to join the separate lines of the design, finding two systems: select all the parts of the design and use the "weld" (salda, in Italian) function or zoom in and join the individual points two at a time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

and here I am stuck: I can't connect the various parts of the drawing.

furthermore, having done this, I would like to modify the lines trying to make the curves of the spiral more fluid: zooming in you can see that the curve is not homogeneous but full of jumps which I imagine create confusion for the plotter during the cutting phase.

I continue to bombard the keyboard with commands that prove useless, waiting for help.

I continue also to ask myself how it is possible that there is not (or that I cannot find) an exhaustive manual of this new to me discipline, since the last century I have been accustomed to reading a manual and applying its indications, not to trying things out... to say that It's frustrating, it's not much!

TIA, Paolo

• Like 1

Looking good so far, Paolo.

5 hours ago, Mc65 said:

I can't connect the various parts of the drawing.

If you can't drag the red nodes (dots) on top of one another to connect them, try this:

Using the Select tool, highlight all the lines/objects at one time, then right click and press "Make Compound Path". After that, you can simply drag the red nodes onto one another to "connect the dots".

(sorry, I don't speak Italian so have no idea of your program terminology)

5 hours ago, Mc65 said:

...  I would like to modify the lines trying to make the curves of the spiral more fluid: zooming in you can see that the curve is not homogeneous but full of jumps ... .

This is where you need to understand how to work with the nodes. Too long to cover here, but YouTube will explain if you'll search on "Silhouette point editing" as I suggested ... for example, here. You can start by clicking on a node to highlight it, and then you can delete it (Delete Key), or move it (Right press and hold) to smooth the trace. Ultimately, however, you'll have to learn about "node types" and how to use the node "handles" (Bezier curves). 

Sounds harder than it actually is!!! You're almost there so stick with it a little more. :classic_biggrin:

Gene K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1