Mask Transfer Tape?

Chris Hobbs

Hi All! I've ordered some Oramask 810 and looking forward to playing with it with my Silhouette cutter.

I'm curious about using transfer tape to move complex designs (Enterprise Aztec masks, anyone?) from backing paper onto a model. My understanding is that the 810 is pretty low-tack, and the only transfer tape I've used up til now has been pretty strong. I've no idea how that combo would work well together.

Is there a better choice than the transfer tape I've been using with Oracal 651?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

• Like 3

Hello Chris.  I mostly use the same as the masking material, Oramask 810 in my case,  but a clear Frisket-type has advantages because you can position the mask more easily due to its clarity.

Max

Edited by Mozart
  • Like 2

On 7/30/2020 at 7:14 PM, Chris Hobbs said:

Hi All! I've ordered some Oramask 810 and looking forward to playing with it with my Silhouette cutter.

I'm curious about using transfer tape to move complex designs (Enterprise Aztec masks, anyone?) from backing paper onto a model. My understanding is that the 810 is pretty low-tack, and the only transfer tape I've used up til now has been pretty strong. I've no idea how that combo would work well together.

Is there a better choice than the transfer tape I've been using with Oracal 651?

On 7/31/2020 at 5:17 AM, Mozart said:

..........but a clear Frisket-type has advantages because you can position the mask more easily due to its clarity.

Hey Chris,

I do exactly what Max has listed, and use crystal clear Frisket film, normally used for airbrushing and available at most craft/hobby stores. I have used Oracal 810 as that is what I normally cut my masks out of, but the frisket film has the advantage of letting you see exactly where the mask will be placed.  its a bit tougher with the Oracal stuff to know exactly where you are at. 

What would really help would be for me is the Silhouette blade settings for Oramask 810.  I just ordered a few feet and have never used it before.

Biggest problems I've had learning to use the Cameo 3 is the blade settings.  I've been using Tamiya Washi Tape sheets but I am cutting through them inconsistently..

22 hours ago, Kevin Futter said:

Excellent, Chris! That looks like just the task that these cutting machines are designed to excel at. Any chance you could upload your file when you're done?

Thanks Kev! I borrowed heavily from (OK, I basically traced) a commercial product and wouldn't feel right depriving the creator of his due by posting the files.

That said, now that I've gotten some practice and am starting to build up some skill with Inkscape, I'm likely to end up creating my own from scratch before I'm done, and those I will happily make available.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 8/9/2020 at 9:49 PM, GazzaS said:

I have Frisket film, and I have Cricut Transfer tape which is clear...  The Frisket film is much tackier than the Cricut Transfer tape.  Given a choice, I grab the Cricut.

I bought some Cricut Transfer tape from my local craft store and it works great. Being able to see through clearly makes it super easy to place accurately. 

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Justin,

After many "comparatives", I've settled on Vinyl Ease - economical (cheap) and just the right amount of stick.  The grid lines on the tape are useful for cutting as well as positioning. Probably much more than you'll need for scale modeling, but handy for larger jobs like book covers, wall decorations and such. You can get it in 10,30 or 100 foot lengths on Amazon

There are many YouTube videos on the "best" transfer tape , and there are just as many videos on using workarounds like shelf paper, Frisket, brown tape, etc, etc, etc.  I suggest just starting with a proven tape designed specifically for the job. Price difference is negligible and you'll save by not discarding rejects.

Gene K

• Like 2