Work in Progress?

Mozart

I've just started preparations for the painting stage of my Hawker Fury I (1/32 scale AlleyCat resin and white metal) having finally decided on the scheme:

UZopvV.jpg

V78Mlt.jpg

It's quite a complicated scheme which will require a lot of masking at various stages, and because of this I had more or less decided to use the transfers supplied with the kit, shock horror!! 😱  But no, fear not dear friends, t'was not to be.....just couldn't do it.  So I found myself yesterday happily seated in front of my computer scanning the markings, importing said scans into the Silhouette screen, tracing etc etc.  

An idle thought came into my head, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a WiP thread in the forum specifically related to the masking part of the build.  It would demonstrate people's differing techniques and experiences and be a good teaching/learning resource, which in turn may encourage more footfall in the forum. Any thoughts mates....and Kev, El Supremo?

• Like 4

I like this idea Max, and will ponder it some more. I need to decide whether we go for a full-blown build forum pertaining to the use of paint masks, or try to place artificial limits on which portions of the build can be shown (i.e., only the masking and painting sequences). Thoughts? I'm leaning towards the former, personally.

Kev

• Like 1

From my own point of view Kev, I wouldn’t be interested in doing a full build log on this forum, that will be on LSP, but of course I realise that not all members here build in 1/32 scale nor belong to LSP.

So for me, the two forums would be complementary because I’d cover the entire build on LSP, but the painting and mask-related in more detail here. For instance with the Fury, I’d be starting at the point I am now, show the scheme chosen, the design work on the Silhouette, masking and painting but not latterly rigging etc. I’m hoping to use Bare Metal foil for the front panels and will be trying to use the Silhouette for cutting those, so that’s about my limit here. A finished picture will go in the Gallery just to tie things up.  

Others’ thoughts will vary depending on their own circumstances so perhaps a degree of latitude could be allowed about how much is logged here?  
Max 

Great idea.  I for one would not wish to see a whole build log ruled out.  Depending on the subject the masking process may come at a number of places in the build process.  For example, biplanes tend to be painted before the airframe as a whole is complete.  Even on more modern subjects it may be advantageous to complete part of the masking/painting process at an earlier stage: perhaps an aeroplane with a complex scheme, like a "special" tail fin or a tiger jet.  It will give more context to the masking element if the steps either side can be shown.

So I'd also argue for allowing members to post whatever stages of their builds they see fit, from a couple of masks at the painting stage to a full build log, but clearly with the masking/painting process showcased/highlighted/emphasised.

• Like 1

Can’t argue with that at all Mike, you’ve put it very eloquently. However I can’t see the need for detailed cockpit builds for example, or undercarriage bays including pipe runs etc where in my experience masking isn’t usually applicable. Users of the forum need to be able to locate the aspects of a build for which they have joined the forum easily and not have to wade through page after page to find it.

Max 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mozart said:

However I can’t see the need for detailed cockpit builds for example, or undercarriage bays including pipe runs etc where in my experience masking isn’t usually applicable.

That's a fair point Max.  I hope we would be able to leave it up to members to follow the spirit of this forum without a lot of detailed rules.

• Like 1

I think the idea of allowing members to contribute a full build thread is a good one, even if most members don't. I'm keen to keep this forum pretty focussed on its niche, and not become Yet Another Modelling Forum. But if broadening the content broadens the membership and helps keep the site viable, then I'm all for it. I'll try to get something set up during the week.

Kev

• Like 2