Sound Off!

Kevin Futter

Things have been very quiet around here lately, and that's partly my fault, as I haven't had much time to spend here myself in recent times. And sadly, I'm also not an expert in the art and science of cutting paint masks, so it's difficult for me to lead from the front, so to speak. I would, however, hate to see this place wither and die, when it has the potential to be such a useful resource to the general modelling community.

So, in the spirit of community engagement, I'm reaching out to you guys to sound off, and let us know that you're still here! I'd like for this site to become a comprehensive online library of masking resources, but we're just at the baby steps stage right now. I'm hoping we can grow it together as a community, so any suggestions are welcome!

Kev

Thanks, Dave. In theory, SMPM should have an even broader appeal than LSP, since it caters to pretty much every genre of scale modelling, and in every scale. My lack of leadership here is partly to blame for its current state, but I still think it's a concept worth persevering with. Max has been great in posting tutorials and answering member questions, so we really just need some more contributions like that. But I guess most people have more questions than answers about cutting your own masks, and like me, aren't really in a position to contribute so much.

Still, I'll keep working on it!

Kev

I’ve been concerned too Kev about the lack of activity on the site. The problem as I see it is that, once basic tutorials have been posted, the site then simply becomes a library of masking schemes. That’s no bad thing at all, it will clearly encourage and attract visitors but will it promote much in the way of dialogue or interaction? There’s no easy answer, but I agree with Dave that questions often asked on LSP would be better asked, or directed here. Perhaps a more prominent “plug” on LSP would be in order? 
Max 

• Like 1

I guess I'll have to find the time to do some basic promotion wherever I can, but I think we're a long way from a being a finished (as in complete) site, so there's still a lot of room to grow and improve before it ever needs to settle into being a static library. Would love to hear from more of our members in this thread, too!

Kev

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Winnie said:

Well! I found it!

I guess as the word spreads, more peeps will join for sure.

Mask cutting is a niche part of the hobby for sure.

Welcome aboard, Winnie! Yes, mask cutting is indeed a niche, but a valuable one, and one that more modellers will start to experiment over time, I think. It's a shame that the cutting machines remain relatively expensive, but an entry-level unit like the Silhouette Portrait doesn't really cost much more than a decent airbrush or compressor.

Kev

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kevin Futter said:

Welcome aboard, Winnie! Yes, mask cutting is indeed a niche, but a valuable one, and one that more modellers will start to experiment over time, I think. It's a shame that the cutting machines remain relatively expensive, but an entry-level unit like the Silhouette Portrait doesn't really cost much more than a decent airbrush or compressor.

Kev

I haven't bought any decals for the past 8 years (I rarely if ever model what's in the box) so my investment in my Cameo was a good one in my opinion - gives me so much freedom and control of what I model.

Max

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have recently become very interested in creating masks etc. using the Silhouette Cameo 4. 

I am totally new to this concept but not scale models.  Despite trying very hard to research this area I have virtually drawn a blank until I rediscovered this site.  I have to say that a lot of information has been obtained form this site in the last hour of looking at it.  I think this is an excellent idea and resource for scale modellers and I hope to be able to contribute to it more when my skill levels n this area improve.

Lets not loose this resource, I, for one, want to become more active in this site in the future.

Gary

• Like 3

Well, I've been lurking here, but not much to contribute. I notice that most of the questions involve around just how to create a file for cutting and I can't be of much help there because of my 30+ years using Adobe Illustrator which I use. Cutting masks and painting markings is enticing but it's similar to 3D printing in that it all sounds so great until you actually have to build a 3D model to print. It all sounds so easy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WoodyV said:

Well, I've been lurking here, but not much to contribute. I notice that most of the questions involve around just how to create a file for cutting and I can't be of much help there because of my 30+ years using Adobe Illustrator which I use. Cutting masks and painting markings is enticing but it's similar to 3D printing in that it all sounds so great until you actually have to build a 3D model to print. It all sounds so easy.

It's not easy Woody, but equally, it's not hard!  All it takes is application and a willingness to learn a few straightforward techniques, and the "tutorials"and tips here are designed to help you through that.  Then it's a matter of routine - sure I still make mistakes after using the Silhouette for 7 or 8 years but I try to learn from them.  Have a look at Mike's Meteor in the Gallery, he's new to all this stuff and has produced exemplary work. The Silhouette software is not at all complicated, if you can use Adobe Illustrator it'll be a walk in the park for you.  Have a go! 😁

Glad to see you've un-lurked by the way.....welcome to our growing happy band!! 🤪

Max

Edited by Mozart
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Mozart said:

Have a look at Mike's Meteor in the Gallery, he's new to all this stuff and has produced exemplary work.

Aaww, Max, thank you, although I should point out that whilst new to cutting I've used one or two commercial masks before.

@WoodyV, :default_hi:.  I think masks are very rewarding, and I've been painting things like walkways and invasion stripes, rather than use decals for these, for years.  But having one's own cutter allows you to take things to a whole new level.  In my modelling, I like to have, above all else, a subject that nobody else has done if I can.  That is so much more within my reach now.   The software?  It's taking me a while to find my way around and get used to its particular quirks and wrinkles, but it's straightforward enough: if you can draw with MS Powerpoint you'll already be familiar with many of the concepts like group/ungroup.  Once you have a design, cutting it is no different to sending a document to a printer - assuming you have your media loaded correctly :classic_sleep: https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com/index.php?/topic/566-portrait-3-will-not-cut-problem-solved/

Enjoy, and do please let's see some of your output in due course.

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 1