Questions concerning Silhouette Cameo 4 Quaility & Suitability for 1/48 scale canopy masks

Bax

Hello everyone: I'm hoping for some help with some questions I have concerning the Cameo 4.  These days, reading Amazon reviews and related "information" (if you want to call it that) online is hardly helpful.  Some people say thing Cameo 4 is the greatest machine ever built while others say it's best used as a door stop.  It's very difficult to figure out if this is the machine to get or not.  Several reviews claim the Cameo 3 is far superior.  The negative reviews are all over the map: some claim a poor UI, others have issues with the cutting quality/depth and still others have reported full on crashes during a cut, ruining the current project.  I'm not exactly hard up for money but at the same time the idea of burning through expensive "paper" due to problems during cutting is something that will surely drive me nuts.  So:

1. Who on here has a Cameo 4?  (I'm delighted some people have a 3 and are happy with it but I can't easily get one of those in my area whereas a 4 is readily available)

2. What problems have you experienced with it, if any?

3. I primarily wish to cut paint masks for 1/72 and 1/48 scale model aircraft canopy masks.  Is the machine suitable for this purpose?  (some reports claim it has 'difficultly' at that scale but didn't elaborate)

Regarding the Cricket/circuit/however it's spelled: I disagree with the idea of having to have an internet connection to use a device like this....it's basically a non-starter for me.

Any additional details you wish to share, good or bad, specific to your personal use of the Cameo 4 would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for any help, and sorry for what now looks like a bit of a long post.

Hmmm, intriguing post Bax! I don’t own a 4, simply a 3 which as I’ve said before does everything that I ask of it, and very effectively. I’ll be as interested as you though to read what people have to say about their experiences with their 4, can it really be such a retrograde step as owners have stated in your post, it seems very unlikely. Let’s hope you get some answers from experienced users.

Max 

Hi Bax, I have a 4. I've not really used it a lot yet, but so far I haven't had any problems. I chose Silhouette because I didn't like the idea of everything being in the "cloud" either.

The photo is a 1/48 A-20. The aircraft codes and S/N were cut with the 4. The national markings are decals. I'm slowly working my way there. I also used it to cut the masks for the pilot's canopy (not visible in the photo.) I'm slowly getting around to weathering the A-20.

I've also used it for canopy masks for a 1/32 T-2 and I'm working on marking masks for a 1/28 Camel. I've not done anything in 1/72.

I've only cut things using the mat and auto blade that came with it.

spacer.png

Dave

Edited by denders
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all so first off, it seems I have posted this in the introductions section - apologies...I wasn't thinking.  Second, I can't get a Cameo at this time...seems that while there are a few available the prices are pretty high and availability at all local and even most online suppliers is limited (hence high price) or not available at all.  I'm looking to use this for a wider variety of purposes that I did originally, and as a result I'm looking for the 15" version of the thing, which is unfortunately even more difficult to find.  No doubt all of this is due to the pandemic.  Bottom line is I am going to wait on purchasing this thing, largely out of necessity.

Because of this, if anyone in my area (GTA, Ontario) wants to make a few bucks by printing a bunch of paint masks for me, I'd be interested in talking to you ;)