RAF Fonts.

AdeRowlands

Have asked over on the Motherboard at LSP but looking to do a SEAC RAF P-47 such as https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205209742  and https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/p-47-thunderbolt/p-47-thunderbolt-nv-s-hd235-burma-1944/ Anybody have the fonts for the Squadron codes and Serial numbers? The serials look fairly standard to the European Theatre type but the Squadron codes look smaller and slightly different. 

I see what you mean Ade.  The serial numbers look like American-style stencils, which I guess is a distinct possibility because they were applied at the factory in accordance with the original contract and batch numbers, whereas the squadron codes were painted on at squadron’s base on arrival using the approved Air Ministry lettering style. An interesting colour film: 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060025281

Max 

Edited by Mozart
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mozart said:

I see what you mean Ade.  The serial numbers look like American-style stencils, which I guess is a distinct possibility because they were applied at the factory in accordance with the original contract and batch numbers, whereas the squadron codes were painted on at squadron’s base on arrival using the approved Air Ministry lettering style. An interesting colour film: 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060025281

Max 

It’s a proper can of worms. Did they leave the factory Bare Metal and then receive the Camouflage in Theatre? If they left the factory in Camouflage they will likely be American approximations of the RAF Colours, likely Olive Drab, no idea for the Brown, and Neutral Grey undersides. So many unknowns with the RAF P-47s. Great video though. At least one question answered, British type bombs were used rather than the American ones.

Edited by AdeRowlands
  • Like 1

I think they would have been painted at the factory, the AM contract would have stipulated colours. I have a copy of  the North American Co. build and maintenance manual for the AT6/Harvard which specifies very precisely the size, colours and positions of both American and British colour schemes so I’m sure the Republic Co. had the same. 

Kt9lIo.png

y9OHsM.png

Edited by Mozart

More questions answered though. A Gem of a Video, thanks Max. I could curse the Pongo Pilot with his helmet on the sight though, that kind of close up would have answered that question with no doubts, cut to the next scene with the guy on the wing, that’s definitely a standard P-47 Sight mount but cant quite make out the sight itself other than the reflector. It looks quite rounded which to me suggests the American type. Again later with the Rhodesian Pilot strapping in, it looks to be the American Sight type. Straps look to be the American style rather than Sutton. Wheels were mostly uncovered faces too, Diamond Tread patterns. More questions answered than asked. So thanks Again Max, I’ll watch it through again a couple of times. I suppose by that point in the war we might actually have shipped paint over for them to use. I saw no stencil date, at least on the wings such as the 1,2,3,4 you see numbering the guns on some P-47s. That’s what made me think if they were painted locally or not. 

• Like 1