441 Squadron Mustang

Tom Doolie

441 Squadron Mustang

This is my first attempt at making my own masks with a Cameo 4. I cut them onto Tamiya masking sheet, which seemed to work OK. In the photos which show the results on the 1/72 Academy Mustang, the insignia and squadron codes were painted using the masks that I'd made with the cutter. I'm fairly pleased with the result, however the roundels are a little wonky. The smaller serial numbers are decals, as the cutter couldn't cope with that small size with the Tamiya tape. I have some Artool Hobby Mask that I may try in the future for such small lettering.

• Like 2

Yes, the squadron codes (9G-L)turned out very well, but I had difficulty applying the roundels, even though the cutter did a good job with them.  As I said, the smaller serial numbers (HB 876) I was not able to cut with the Tamiya masking paper, which was all I had to hand. I will try such small letters again with Artool masking, but I haven't had a chance yet.

Regards,

Tom

• 1 year later...

Nice, Tom.   

Roundels are tricky, but  looks like you did a great job, despite your "wonky" description. I assume you had challenges aligning the masks for the  different colors? If so, I found that using see-through parchment paper under most of the transfer tape to initially align the circles helps greatly.

Gene K

Did you mean to have two different letter "L"s? The horizontal portions are different lengths.

Edited by GeneK

• 6 months later...
On 12/31/2022 at 1:16 PM, NBRangers said:

Great looking Canadian Mustang. I have also had trouble with serials. How did the Artool masking material work?

Dave from New Brunswick

I still haven't had a chance to use the Artool masks, so I don't have anything to report yet.

Regards,

Tom

On 1/3/2023 at 6:31 AM, GeneK said:

Nice, Tom.   

Roundels are tricky, but  looks like you did a great job, despite your "wonky" description. I assume you had challenges aligning the masks for the  different colors? If so, I found that using see-through parchment paper under most of the transfer tape to initially align the circles helps greatly.

Gene K

Did you mean to have two different letter "L"s? The horizontal portions are different lengths.

I traced a decal sheet from AZ Models (?) which indicated different widths for the L, so I just went with that.

Regards,

Tom