Hello from the Midlands

Philbucknall

Hello folks! 

found this forum after looking at the possibility of making my own masks for painting and I saw a link on LSP. 

I’ve recently spent ages cutting out some masks by hand for a few models especially canopies and I’ve tried the liquid masks but don’t necessarily like them either. Either way it’s frustrating so I’ve decided to look at the silhouette portrait cutter and wanted to find out more about the whole topic before I commit to buying one given the investment. 

• Like 1

Morning Phil, good to see you here. As you’ll see from many people’s comments here, the Silhouette is a real game-changer when it comes to modelling potential. If you need any further advice please ask away and collectively we’ll do our best to help out.

Max 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 7:53 AM, Mozart said:

Morning Phil, good to see you here. As you’ll see from many people’s comments here, the Silhouette is a real game-changer when it comes to modelling potential. If you need any further advice please ask away and collectively we’ll do our best to help out.

Max 

Thanks Max

im just wondering at this point what the minimum is that I’d need to be able to make canopy and the odd panel masks in terms of cutter and the best substrate to use too. Also; what software would I need and how easy is it to design your own masks and convert them into formats that the cutter can work with. I use a MacBook Air so it also needs to be iOS compatible. Many thanks in advance. Phil

Morning Phil. I’m afraid I can’t give you much of a steer on your questions simply because I do all my design work directly with the Silhouette software, I have no experience of importing vector files or similar from external sources. The Silhouette software is perfectly capable of doing everything that you might conceivably need mask-wise though with obvious limitations on minimum sizes. Sorry that I can’t help further.

Max 

• Like 1

Phil, just to expand on Max's answer, the Silhouette Studio software that comes with the cutters works perfectly well on a Mac, so you'll have no worries. As Max says, it's also perfectly capable of meeting most of your basic needs, and you may never need to use a different application.

Kev

• Like 2