What cutting settings do you use in the Silhouette software?

MustangManiac

Hi guys,

What settings do you guys use in the Silhouette software when making a masking set? I've gor the Oramask 810 for material and a Silhouette Portrait 2 and I've used glossy vinyl setting for my material and a depth of 1 and a pressure of 1 with a single pass cut and it still cuts through the backing paper and you have to peel every individual piece of a masking set one by one because of this. What settings do you guys use for Oramask 810 to cut the vinyl but not all the way through the backing paper?

Thanks,

Brady

11 hours ago, Mozart said:

When you take your blade out of the holder, is it really set at 1? Check that first, it sounds to me like too much blade is showing if it’s cutting that deeply on the figures you’ve quoted. 

I know how to take the blade out but do I need to look at anything other than the indicator on the side of the tool?

13 hours ago, MustangManiac said:

I know how to take the blade out but do I need to look at anything other than the indicator on the side of the tool?

No, just the indicator though I always lightly run my finger across the end just to gauge how much blade is sticking out.....be careful! 

• 1 month later...

Nick, the settings for cutting, ie speed, force, number of passes, blade depth, shouldn’t determine whether you use a cutting mat or not. I haven’t used Artool Ultramask but I use a cutting mat with EVERY material: vinyl, plastic, paper, card, lead foil etc. I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t use the mat, without its stickiness the material being cut will likely slide about and you won’t get a good cut. 
Max 

Edited by Mozart
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

i have a million other questions but it's where to start...

Well I’ve set up a couple of pretty simple tutorials which deal with finding your way around the software etc, check out “Tutorials - Working Efficiently” for instance. Start by looking at those then come back with further questions. I check in a couple of times a day, certainly every morning and I know Kev does too. 
Max 

Edited by Mozart
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting Wuger. I didn’t really understand the full reason for the speed setting, but the explanation there of the more complicated designs or patterns needing a slower speed makes sense. From my experience a Force of 9 on the “Silhouette setting”, (odd that they quote machine and not specific material within the vinyl section) is just about on the margin of cutting vinyl and its backing. 
Max