I have no idea what I'm doing

Lee White

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to come to terms with making artwork to cut. I had the bright idea of scanning a 1/72 decal, and hoping to enlarge it eventually. I scanned it, and a search of the web told me I had to turn it into a vector file. It does not look useable at all.

qw7a5d.png

Not sure why you need to turn a scanned image into a vector file Lee, I never have.  Once scanned (into my photos folder) I just "slide" the image across into the Silhouette drawing page and enlarge as necessary from there.  You'll need to go to the top tool bar and "send the image to the back" before you can start tracing it.

Hope this helps

Max

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 9:37 PM, Kevin Futter said:

I've found that if I import the images as PNG files instead of JPEGs, I get a much better result with auto-trace. I use Photoshop to convert, if required.

Kev

Is auto-trace a function of the standard software or does it need to be upgraded?  I need to just spend a good quite day playing with the software to see what it can do. If needed I'll be happy to upgrade it. It sounds like it might be well worth it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlbertD said:

Is auto-trace a function of the standard software or does it need to be upgraded?  I need to just spend a good quite day playing with the software to see what it can do. If needed I'll be happy to upgrade it. It sounds like it might be well worth it.

Apparently it used to be an upgrade feature, but it's definitely there in my bundled free version.

Kev

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Futter said:

Apparently it used to be an upgrade feature, but it's definitely there in my bundled free version.

Kev

Thanks Kevin. I think I'll spend my quite time on Sunday morning playing with the software. My only real project for the Silhouette so far has been new numbers for my mailbox.

• Like 1