Cameo 4 Questions

denders

I've gotten a Cameo 4 (Early Christmas Present).

1. Anyone using a bluetooth connection? Working?

2. Anyone using the roll stock holder? I picked up a 10' roll of Oramask 813 last summer to see what it is.

3. Or, do you just cut a sufficiently sized piece and attach it to the cutting mat?

Thanks

Dave

Hello Dave, I can’t answer most of your questions I’m afraid because I use a Cameo 2 which to my knowledge doesn’t have a Bluetooth function nor roll stock holder (?) but the one thing I have learned in the 5 or 6 years that I’ve used mine is to cut only enough Oramask for the task in hand. I never throw away cut-offs, surprisingly small pieces so often come in handy. Yesterday I cut two roundels, I used a piece of vinyl no more than 100mm x 50mm. 

Good luck with your Cameo, you’ll love it and quickly realise just what an essential piece of kit it is! 

Edited by Mozart
  • Like 2

Thanks, Mozart. I suspected that you probably have a Cameo 3 but I didn't know if you perhaps had the bluetooth adapter.

The "4" comes with bluetooth built in, Windows sees the "4" but their software doesn't see the "4". I've found a number of others online who evidently have the same problem. It just would be convenient if it worked. I'll just have to drape the USB cable across the floor when I want to cut. Their software sees it just fine with the cable. Even with an extender, I'll have to see how it prints with the extender.

Sounds like I should have a spare cutting mat and probably a couple spare blades, just in case too.

On 11/8/2020 at 2:03 PM, denders said:

Thanks, Mozart. I suspected that you probably have a Cameo 3 but I didn't know if you perhaps had the bluetooth adapter.

The "4" comes with bluetooth built in, Windows sees the "4" but their software doesn't see the "4". I've found a number of others online who evidently have the same problem. It just would be convenient if it worked. I'll just have to drape the USB cable across the floor when I want to cut. Their software sees it just fine with the cable. Even with an extender, I'll have to see how it prints with the extender.

Sounds like I should have a spare cutting mat and probably a couple spare blades, just in case too.

Funny you should mention having a spare mat. I just bought a Cameo 4 just a couple of weeks ago. The first thing I did was drop my mat sticky side down on the carpet, and we have a dog that sheds. You know the rest. It sure would not hurt to have a spare mat and blade. I have not tried the bluetooth because mine is close to the PC. I do plan to give it a try though. It would be good to have the option of using it right next to my modeling desk.

Edited by AlbertD
  • Like 1

Okay, I seem to have figured out something about the bluetooth connection after contacting Silhouette Support.

Evidently the Cameo 4 senses that a USB cable is plugged into the cutter (even if the other end is not connected to a computer) and the bluetooth doesn't work.

I received an email from a support person who suggested a number of things and also pointed to a website that works through finding out exactly which version of bluetooth is actually on the computer. While reading through that gent's email I was thinking that I've already done all the scenarios but I'd work through them again, just for the sake of doing it. Originally I had the USB cable with an extension draped across the floor and when I did my testing, I just disconnected the USB at the computer. Since then I added a second USB extension cable and have it plugged into the back of the computer (disktop). Tonight when I ran through setup again I disconnected the USB cable at the Cameo 4 and low and behold it connected. I've retested a couple time this evening and it has reconnected to the Cameo. It seems to be a little slow on connecting but it does connect.

It evidently can only be connected to one computer at a time too.

So, info for someone else in the future.

And while I was sending an email back to someone who may read it, I suggested that they update the FAQs on the website.

Annnnnnd while I was at it, I made a feature request that the software have a way to weld the endpoints of lines, arcs, etc.

Dave

• Like 3

I  have used the role holder it worked fine  but as stated  I think  given that we are cutting small masks rather then large projects seems better to  just use the  matt and small pieces.  I just asked a  question about the 813.  do you use water color paint as the 810  is suggested for solvent type paints.  I ended up ordering 810 but they sent 813 they are going to send me some 810  so now will have both.

• Like 1

I've been using water based paint for the majority of what I'm working on. I've not actually gotten to paint anything yet with the mask. I cut the ID letters for the tail of a 1/48 "Dave" and placed them on the aircraft but I've not had time to actually paint. I had gotten some 813 last summer just to see what the material is like. I've also bought some 810 and some Artool UltraMask since I got my Cameo 4. To me, the 810 and the Ultramask just 'feel' better to the touch. And I don't see any reason not to use them with water based paint. I don't know why 813 is for water based paint and 810 for solvent based paint except that perhaps the adhesive used on the 810 stands up to it better.

When I get a chance I'll have to try an experiment with solvent and a piece of 813.

• 3 months later...

My cameo4 is flaky on the bluetooth as well.   The Silhouette support page called out this setting:

“In the Bluetooth Settings window, make sure the option "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC" is checked.”

Mine wasn’t- checking it made it more reliable. But sometimes it is still cranky, so I just use the cable....

I am mostly cutting small masks for 1/72 aircraft, so I use a mat for it all. Seems like overkill to use a roll for a 2x3 inch cut...

A couple of guys in my IPMS club also have cutters, and they recommended using Artool Ultramask.  It was a little harder to find, but it is great stuff.   Just tge right amount of tack- no bleed under, but no adhesive residue left behind, and no issues puling up paint- even Vallejo acrylics!

Edited by rcboater Bill
Fixed old typos, added new ones
  • Like 2