New toy; Cameo 4

RadBaron

23 hours ago, Kevin Futter said:

I considered one of these when I was deciding to purchase, but opted for the Portrait instead.

What were your considerations, Kev?

I picked the cameo purely because I was familiar with the precious model and figured this one would be similar, if slightly better than the 3 I was using. 

13 hours ago, Mozart said:

give us some feedback. 

Will do!

I'm at early stages in terms of what the thing can do. Sofar I can draw and cut stickers and masks. Id like to learn what other materials are feasible and what fancy things the drawing software can do. 

ALL suggestions are welcomed!

Cheers,

Denzil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RadBaron said:

What were your considerations, Kev?

Price, mainly. I seem to remember that the extra features of the Cameo weren't compelling enough to justify the extra cost to me, especially as a complete beginner. The smaller footprint of the Portrait was also a consideration, given how little room I have.

Kev

• Like 2

I did a little experiment a couple of weeks ago with my Echelon Lightning, I wanted to make a bit more variation in finish etc so decided to feature the "elephant ear" panels just aft of the cockpit.  I traced the outline from the model onto thin paper, scanned this and uploaded into Silhouette then cut the panels out using Bare Metal Foil, which is extremely thin!  It took a few attempts to get the shape and settings right, but it worked very successfully.  I'm really excited about this because with models such as the beautiful Hawker Fury, Hart, Demon etc to build the technique opens up a whole new range of possibilities.

Max

euSKuU.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Kevin Futter said:

Excellent experimentation, Max! I really would have thought that Bare Metal Foil was too thin to cut with one of these devices, but being able to certainly opens up a lot of possibilities!

Kev

I was pleasantly surprised too Kev, I expected the foil to be chewed up, but it even managed to cut the 1mm circles quite effectively.  I can't recall the exact settings so I'll have to do a reprise! 😃

Edited by Mozart
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 8:45 PM, BlueNosers352nd said:

What Blade(s) should be looking at?  Might pull the trigger this month.

The standard blade supplied with the machine is adequate for the vast majority of jobs.  I bought the heavier duty blade for cutting thicker plastic but I haven't really tried it out properly yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

From a modelling perspective, the basic software enables you to draw straightforward designs for masks such as roundels, crosses, stars etc as well as letters, but the real game changer is the Designer software which is an add-on package, not expensive, but so worthwhile. With this package you can import photographs for instance and trace around shapes, this opens up so many other possibilities. 

Yes, there is a whole library of designs that I’ve never used because they are intended for people who make cards, for scrap-bookers etc. but the tools (draw, copy, paste, orientate, scale, delete, group/ungroup etc) that are used for any craft remain the same. You’ll never regret buying one and investing in some time to learn how to use it.

Max 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mozart said:

From a modelling perspective, the basic software enables you to draw straightforward designs for masks such as roundels, crosses, stars etc as well as letters, but the real game changer is the Designer software which is an add-on package, not expensive, but so worthwhile. With this package you can import photographs for instance and trace around shapes, this opens up so many other possibilities.

It's odd that you say that, Max, as I only have the Basic version (am yet to upgrade), but I was still able to import an image and auto-trace it. Perhaps they've beefed up the Basic version?

Kev

• Like 2

so what else is needed besides the vinyl to cut if you buy the basic machine  besides the software.  Does it come with a cutting matt?  any other blades or tools?  The bundles include a lot of extraneous crap  I think.  With black friday coming  inquiring mines and all that

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dashotgun said:

so what else is needed besides the vinyl to cut if you buy the basic machine  besides the software.  Does it come with a cutting matt?  any other blades or tools?  The bundles include a lot of extraneous crap  I think.  With black friday coming  inquiring mines and all that

Find a bundle deal with the cutting mat and maybe some extra blades. 

The standard auto blade is more than enough to cut masks.

Oracal masking film is a commonly used masking film and at $20 for a 25ft roll, is great bang for your buck. As always, i'm open to suggestion for better alternatives!

The supplied free factory software does now include drawing tools like the "Trace " function. Its actually fairly comprehensive. The software is easy enough to use, and there are countless video tutorials online. Dont limit yourself to just watching modelling tutorials. Take the time to experiment and play around with it. The vinyl and masking film is relatively cheap, so making a mistake is an inexpensive learning tool. 

Edited by RadBaron
  • Like 2

this looks good  to me

https://www.swingdesign.com/products/silhouette-cameo-4  277  with free shipping

also found the basic model at michaels a   craft store for  20% off so about 250 before tax.    the autoblades are sold out around the country strangely enough but they are only about 10 bucks at michaels so after the holiday I will pick up a  spare

btw beautiful model  \

Edited by dashotgun
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 8:26 AM, dashotgun said:

this looks good  to me

https://www.swingdesign.com/products/silhouette-cameo-4  277  with free shipping

also found the basic model at michaels a   craft store for  20% off so about 250 before tax.    the autoblades are sold out around the country strangely enough but they are only about 10 bucks at michaels so after the holiday I will pick up a 

Great deals!! All the extras are easily availiable from many sources, so whatever you buy, you'll be able to piece together the things you actually WANT 😀