fonts not showing up in Silhouette studios

snigel79

Does anyone here know how to FORCE Silhouette studio to recognise fonts that ALL other software on my PC recognises as installed?

I cannot tell what makes one font compatible with Windows while not being compatible with Silhouette studio and another one to be. As usual, the ones who makes the software, both the people behind Windows as well as Silhouette Studio are no help at all, refering to a folder in Windows that simply is not there at all on my system.

How I wish there was a way for me to point out the font-file for Silhouette Studio instead of relying on Windows to work as advertised. Maybe I should try my luck with Mac instead...

That's a tricky one, and not something I've had a lot of experience with in Silhouette Studio so far. I'm a Mac user, so probably can't offer a lot of useful advice about Windows fonts anyway. Hopefully one of our other members with a similar set up to yours can assist.

Kev

Its the RAF and RCAF fonts found here https://volareproducts.com/blog/?page_id=2343 and here http://www.l8ter.com/?p=896

They are the same fileformat as any other font in Windows though I don't know about all the various settings with "unicode" etc

The AmarilloUSAF, USAFstencils and Blochschrift für flugzeuge works just fine for some reason, as does the General Aviation fonts. Does anyone here know how to create your own *.ttf files so I can "make" a font that will actually show up in silhouette or convert fonts to DFX or other vector-images that Silhouette Studios can read?

• Like 1

I have both Affinity Designer and CS6 (old version) of Adobe Illustrator. AD will export svg files and the version of Ai that I have will export dxf files. I assume newer versions of Ai will export dxf files.

You will need to upgrade to the Designer version of the Silhouette software to import svg files. You have to go all the way to Business version to import Ai files. The standard version will import dxf file.

If you haven't seen this comparison of versions.

Software Comparison Chart (silhouetteamerica.com)

I haven't tried the font files that you're listing.

Affinity has a free trial version, if you want to check it out first. I haven't looked on Adobe but I imagine they have a free trial too. Affinity is a more economical competitor to some of the Adobe products. They had been running a half off sale, but I'm not sure it's still active.

Dave

• Like 1

I have this problem too, so following this thread.

I do have a work-around though. Print out what you want in MS Word,  scan in at 1200 dpi as a jpg, then import into Studio and trace.

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 1

Some dude on RCuniverse.com I think it was typed in MS Powerpoint and exported it as a bitmap image and used the trace function in Silhouette studio. I tried that after exporting the font-file as a bitmap but it turned out to be quite a low resolution. Typing in powerpoint lets me use like 216 pt letters that results in quite smooth letters that can be reduced to the size I actually want. Otherwise the letters might look jagged because of pixles.

At this point I just want to beat the software into submission, not work overtime to get around a problem that is specific to just silhouette (Ok, the problem with these fonts also occurs in iOS)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

So, here is my messed up experience with the Silhouette and fonts…. I read this feed and noticed that I too was having issues with the software recognizing fonts.  Well, long story short: I noticed that MS Word recognized the font and after rebooting the computer viola the Silhoutte also has the font listed. I hope this works for you.  Just for the sake of completeness, I found US Navy stencil font for some 1942/easy 1943 number boards. The Silhouette and the 810 vinyl self adhesive stencil worked wonderfully. 

• Like 2