Manually tracing an object

AverageModeler

Are you using the Silouhette cutter software?

Usually when you want to "cut out" an image you can put the cut box around the item and then adjust setting so the program traces what you want.

That way you can also use the point manipulation tool to edit points and get the end shape you want after the cut out.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Hello, yes, using the standard software for my Silhouette. I all ready have the image cut out and using the software to trace. Here is a picture to maybe help visualize what I am doing. spacer.png

When I am fine tuning my lines and doing the edit points, I will sometimes grab the back layer and move it by accident. Is there a way to pin the object I am tracing to keep it from moving?

Thanks for  help. 

Hi AM:

If you have the Designer Edition upgrade ($49.99) to the Silhouette Studio software you can create layers that you use to separate objects to make them easier to manipulate. You would move the scanned image into one layer and then lock that layer so you can't move the image. Then you draw your masks in another layer (or layers). You can break down complex drawings that involve many small masks close together (think the shark mouth on a Flying Tiger P-40) into layers (mouth outline, tongue, teeth, etc.) so you can draw all the elements over one scanned image but print each layer as a separate mask. There a number of other useful tools in the Designer Edition that I think makes the upgrade worth the money.  See https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software/silhouette-studio-features-comparison-chart for a comparison of each upgrade. Unfortunately you have to purchase each upgrade in sequence, you can't skip an upgrade to save money.

Good luck with your project.

Wrongway_Joe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AverageModeler said:

Thanks for that, looks like i need to upgrade my software. 👍

Yes, most definitely worth the upgrade to Designer Edition, you can drag an image into the design screen and "work on top" of it to create your mask shapes.  But don't save your work with the image still "underneath" your drawn cut lines because (in my experience) it will lock the two layers of image and lines together.

Max

• 2 years later...
On 8/9/2020 at 12:48 PM, Mozart said:

... Designer Edition, you can drag an image into the design screen and "work on top" of it to create your mask shapes.  But don't save your work with the image still "underneath" your drawn cut lines because (in my experience) it will lock the two layers of image and lines together.

Doesn't work that way (in my Designer edition) unless the shapes are grouped before saving. Of course the best way is to use layers as Wrongway_Joe suggested above.

Gene K

• Like 1